Sunday, July 24, 2011

Preview... Çeşme & Alaçatı

Dear Readers,

After a few crazy days of finalizing my projects in Istanbul and then spending the next couple of days organizing my affairs in Istanbul and packing... I am now on my way to Çeşme!

For those not familiar with this waterfront Aegean resort town... it is about a 30-45 minute drive (depending on how fast you are going) along a modern highway from the beautiful Aegean city Izmir.

I will be arriving at the Adnan Menderes Airport in Izmir and then will take a taxi to Çeşme. Unfortunately, due to many reasons, there is no HAVAŞ Service to this area - so you have 3 choices 1) taxi; 2) a bus from downtown Izmir; 3) a rental car. As Çeşme gets more and more popular, I am sure there will be easier - and cheaper transportation available.

Taxis charge a flat fee and the going rate is about 170 TL right now (a little over USD 100) - sometimes you can get a flight from Istanbul to Izmir for cheaper! You can try and bargain, but it's not so bad if you are sharing the ride with a couple of friends.

Below is a map showing the route from Izmir to Çeşme proper and its districts...


Some of the main districts in Çeşme include Alaçatı, Ilıca and Dalyan along with Boyalıköy, Çiftlikköy and more. The area is pretty spread out and not accessible by walking - once again you will need transportation. If you do not rent a car, taxis are a bit expensive and as soon as I get info on alternative transportation, which I never used, I will share this info with you.

I will be staying in Ilıca along the waterfront and below is a pix of Ilıca public beach.

The colors of the water at this sandy beach is incredible as you can see from the photograph. Since it is a public beach, I don't recommend that you go on the weekend as it gets ultra crowded. And.. there is no chaise lounge rentals or places to get something to eat on the beach - except for the street vendors.

If you want a "chi chi" beach experience with side by side beach clubs, beautiful people, pristine waters, cocktails, music and food... then head over to Ayayorgi Bay. Some of the cool beach clubs here are the longstanding Sole Mare, Paparrazzi, and the newcomer Marakkech.. there are a few others too. Each has a cover charge which usually includes a beverage. Below is a birds eye view of Ayayorgi.


For nighttime fun, head over to the new Çeşme Marina which opened last year. There are numerous eateries at all prices ranges, a club, shopping and more and below is a picture of the new marina.


Now, let's head over to Alaçatı for a quick tour. The beaches in this area are favored by windsurfers. The town itself is so quaint with narrow streets lined with beautiful 2-3 story restored picturesque stone buildings which are either boutique hotels, restaurants and clubs or retailers.



A little further out of the main town, you will find the new Alaçatı Port Marina.


This marina also opened in 2010 and is surrounded with beautiful deluxe villas, a hotel and a marina full of wonderful eateries.

The last stop on our mini-tour is Dalyan. This area is very popular with its seafood restaurant and a must go...



So... dear readers... this is just a mini preview of Çeşme... I will have more detailed information for you in the coming week... so keep on following my posts!


Dani

2 comments:

  1. Merhaba Dani,
    Thank you very much for your blog. I totally agree with you about the misunderstanding about Turkey and the Turkish people "I am still truly surprised (and a little disappointed) that many people who live in other parts of the world (including - I hate to say - some of my friends) and who have never come to Istanbul have a very narrow view of our ways and culture. Most still think that all women walk around with veils or headscarfs and that men wear a fez! "

    That is one of the reasons I started my own lifestyle website about Turkey. It is a Dutch site called www.mijnturkije.com
    Like you, I would like to create a positive image of Turkey because it is worth it.
    Have a nice day and kolay gelsin.

    Best regards,
    Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Irma and I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond :) I only wish I knew Dutch so that I could read your website... good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete